Growing up, my family's schedule seemed to revolve around mealtime. I have to attribute my love for home cooked food to my mother. She didn't believe in cereal and made us breakfast every morning. I think that deserves some kind of award. Pancakes were my favorite breakfast growing up and my mom made hers from scratch. To be honest, I didn't know you could buy pancake mix at the store until I went to college. I don't claim to be a fabulous cook. I just wanted a place to keep and share all the recipes I love.
My family all came together in the evenings to eat dinner. It was at this time that relationships were built and strengthened. I believe that family dinner is an important tool for cultivating love and strengthening the family. This is why I cook. This is why I share.

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Veggie Cheese Chowder


  • 4 cups cubed potatoes
  • 2 cups sliced carrots
  • 2 cups chopped celery
  • 1/2 cup minced onion
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 10oz. package frozen broccoli
  • 3 Tbsp. chicken base
  • 3 1/2 cup milk

  • 1/2 cup margarine
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 Tbsp. dry mustard

  • 1 lb. Velveeta cheese

Prepare first 4 ingredients. Place in large stew pot, add salt & water. Cook until veggies are tender (about 20 minutes). Add broccoli, chicken base, & milk. Simmer 5 more minutes. In a separate pan melt margarine. Add flour & mustard to margarine to create roux. Add roux to soup & stir until thickened. Cut cheese into cubes; add to soup. Stir until cheese is melted. Keep hot (do not boil!) until ready to serve. Yummy!!!

No comments: