Growing up, my family's schedule seemed to revolve around mealtime. I have to attribute my love for home cooked food to my mother. She didn't believe in cereal and made us breakfast every morning. I think that deserves some kind of award. Pancakes were my favorite breakfast growing up and my mom made hers from scratch. To be honest, I didn't know you could buy pancake mix at the store until I went to college. I don't claim to be a fabulous cook. I just wanted a place to keep and share all the recipes I love.
My family all came together in the evenings to eat dinner. It was at this time that relationships were built and strengthened. I believe that family dinner is an important tool for cultivating love and strengthening the family. This is why I cook. This is why I share.

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Enchi"Lita's"

At my parent's house, this meal is famous because of me. The first time my mom made these enchiladas, I ate more than anyone else. It was quite rediculous! My family calls me "Lita" and since I loved them so much these enchiladas were named Enchi"Lita's."

Sauce:
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1. Heat oil in large 2 quart saucepan; stir in flour and chili powder; cook for one minute.2. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes.
NOTE: I usually double the sauce recipe because I like a lot of sauce, and then I put a gravy boat on the table with sauce in it from the pans after cooking in case someone wants additional sauce.
Ingredients for 12 enchi"Lita's" tortillas:

  • 12 medium tortillas
  • 3 12 ounce cans beef, drained and shredded, or 3 cups shredded pot roast
  • 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
  • 1 large onion,chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1-2 packets Sazon
  • salt
  • pepper
  • cheddar cheese


1. In a skillet with a little bit of oil cook onion until transparent, add tomatoes, garlic, Sazon and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add shredded beef and cook an additional 5 minutes.
2. In a 9 x 13 in pan (I usually have to use two pans) pour about 1/2 cup sauce on bottom of pan to prevent tortillas from sticking. Divide meat mixture between the 12 tortillas then add 1/4 cup shredded cheese on top of meat mixture. Roll and place in pan with tortilla opening facing down. Pour remaining sauce over tortillas. Cover with foil and cook at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove foil, sprinkle cheese on top and cook an additional five minutes. Let sit 10 minutes before serving. Serve with finely chopped lettuce and sour cream on top.

No comments: