Growing up, my family's schedule seemed to revolve around mealtime. I have to attribute my love for home cooked food to my mother. She didn't believe in cereal and made us breakfast every morning. I think that deserves some kind of award. Pancakes were my favorite breakfast growing up and my mom made hers from scratch. To be honest, I didn't know you could buy pancake mix at the store until I went to college. I don't claim to be a fabulous cook. I just wanted a place to keep and share all the recipes I love.
My family all came together in the evenings to eat dinner. It was at this time that relationships were built and strengthened. I believe that family dinner is an important tool for cultivating love and strengthening the family. This is why I cook. This is why I share.

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Cinnamon Rolls

Makes 24 rolls
  • 5 1/2 - 6 cups flour
  • 2 packages yeasts (2 Tbsp.)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/3 cup butter, melted
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 cup raisins (optional)
  1. Pre-heat over to 375 degrees. In large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast, 1/2 cup sugar and salt. Mix well.
  2. In saucepan, heat milk, water, butter until warm. Add to flour mixture. Add eggs. Mix until moistened, then beat 3 minutes at medium speed. By hand, gradually stir in enough remianing flour to make a sof dough. Knead on floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
  3. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let raise in warm place until light and double in size, about 1 hour. Punch down. Divide into 2 parts. On lightly floured surface, roll or pat each half into a 12X9 inch rectangle. Brush each part with melted butter.
  4. Combine 3/4 cup sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over buttered surface. Add raisins (if desired). Starting with 12-inch side, roll up tightly, pressing dough into a roll with each turn. Pinch edges to seal. Cut each roll into 12 pieces.
  5. Place cut side down in greased 13X9 inch pans. Cover; let raise in warm place until almost doubled, about 30 minutes.
  6. Bake at 373 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Combine glaze ingredients; blend until smooth. Drizzle over hot rolls. Serve warm.

No comments: