Growing up, my family's schedule seemed to revolve around mealtime. I have to attribute my love for home cooked food to my mother. She didn't believe in cereal and made us breakfast every morning. I think that deserves some kind of award. Pancakes were my favorite breakfast growing up and my mom made hers from scratch. To be honest, I didn't know you could buy pancake mix at the store until I went to college. I don't claim to be a fabulous cook. I just wanted a place to keep and share all the recipes I love.
My family all came together in the evenings to eat dinner. It was at this time that relationships were built and strengthened. I believe that family dinner is an important tool for cultivating love and strengthening the family. This is why I cook. This is why I share.

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Sweet 'N Sour Pork


I usually half this recipe because it makes 8-10 serving.
  • 3 1/4 pounds pork Boston shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. ginger
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 cans (13 ounces each) pineapple chuncks, drained (reserve syrup)
  • 1/2 cup vinegar
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. salt
  • 3/4 tsp. pepper
  • 2 small green peppers, cut into strips
  • 2 Tbsp. chili sauce
  • 5 cups hot cooked rice
  1. Trim excess fat from pork. Mix half the flour and all the ginger. Coat pork thoroughly with flour mixture.
  2. Heat oil in large heavy skillet; brown pork on all sides, removing pieces as they brown
  3. Add water to reserved pineapple syrup to measure 1 3/4 cups liquid; gradually stir into remaining flour. Stir pineapple syrup mixture, vinegar, soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce into fat in skillet. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in sugar, salt, pepper and meat. Reduce heat. Cover; simmer 1 hour or until meat is tender, stirring occasionally.
  4. Add pineapple and green pappers; cook uncovered 10 minutes. Stir in chili sauce; cook 5 minutes longer. Serve over rice.

No comments: