Growing up, my family's schedule seemed to revolve around mealtime. I have to attribute my love for home cooked food to my mother. She didn't believe in cereal and made us breakfast every morning. I think that deserves some kind of award. Pancakes were my favorite breakfast growing up and my mom made hers from scratch. To be honest, I didn't know you could buy pancake mix at the store until I went to college. I don't claim to be a fabulous cook. I just wanted a place to keep and share all the recipes I love.
My family all came together in the evenings to eat dinner. It was at this time that relationships were built and strengthened. I believe that family dinner is an important tool for cultivating love and strengthening the family. This is why I cook. This is why I share.

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Spanish Rice

  • 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
  • 1/2 cup chopped green sweet pepper
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 Tbsp. cooking oil
  • 1 tsp. cooking oil
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 3/4 cup uncooked white rice
  • 1 4 oz. can diced green chile peppers, undrained
  1. In a large skillet cook onion, sweet pepper and garlic in hot oil until tender. Add chili powder; cook 1 minute more. Stir in undrained tomatoes, rice, chile peppers, 1 cup water, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 20 minutes or until the rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.

No comments: