Growing up, my family's schedule seemed to revolve around mealtime. I have to attribute my love for home cooked food to my mother. She didn't believe in cereal and made us breakfast every morning. I think that deserves some kind of award. Pancakes were my favorite breakfast growing up and my mom made hers from scratch. To be honest, I didn't know you could buy pancake mix at the store until I went to college. I don't claim to be a fabulous cook. I just wanted a place to keep and share all the recipes I love.
My family all came together in the evenings to eat dinner. It was at this time that relationships were built and strengthened. I believe that family dinner is an important tool for cultivating love and strengthening the family. This is why I cook. This is why I share.

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Mushroom-Onion Tartlets

  • 4 ounces light cream cheese
  • 3 Tbsp. butter or margarine divided
  • 3/4 cup plus 1 tsp. all-purpose flour
  • 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, coarsely chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onions
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 tsp. dried thyme leaves
  • 1/2 cup shredded Swiss chees
  1. Place cream cheese and 2 tbsp butter in mixer bowl. Beat about 1 minute. Stop and scrape bowl. Add 3/4 cup flour. Mix on med-low for about 1 minute or until well blended. Form mixture into ball. Wrap in waxed paper and chill 1 hour.
  2. Divide chilled dough into 16 pieces. Press each piece into minature muffin cup (lightly greased).
  3. Meanwhile, melt remaining 1 Tbsp. butter in 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onions. Cook and stir until tender. Remove from heat. Cool slightly.
  4. Place egg, remaining 1 tbsp. flour and thyme in mixer bowl. Beat on med-high for 30 seconds. Stir in cheese and cooled mushroom mixture. Spoon into pastry-lined muffin cups. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until egg mixture is puffed and golden brown. Serve warm.

No comments: