Growing up, my family's schedule seemed to revolve around mealtime. I have to attribute my love for home cooked food to my mother. She didn't believe in cereal and made us breakfast every morning. I think that deserves some kind of award. Pancakes were my favorite breakfast growing up and my mom made hers from scratch. To be honest, I didn't know you could buy pancake mix at the store until I went to college. I don't claim to be a fabulous cook. I just wanted a place to keep and share all the recipes I love.
My family all came together in the evenings to eat dinner. It was at this time that relationships were built and strengthened. I believe that family dinner is an important tool for cultivating love and strengthening the family. This is why I cook. This is why I share.

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Banana Bread

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 2 beaten eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (5 medium)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup cooking oil or melted butter
  • 1 recipe Streusel Topping
  1. Grease bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of one 9X5X13 inch or two 7 1/2X3 1/2X2-inch loaf pans; set aside. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and 1/4 tsp. salt. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl combing eggs, banana, sugar, and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Spoons batter into prepared pan(s). Sprinkle with Streusel Topping.

Streusel Topping: In a small bowl combine 1/4 cup packed brown sugar and 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour. Using a pastry blender, cut in 2 Tbsp butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

3. Bake in a 350 degree over for 55-60 minutes for 9x5x3-inch pan, or 40 to 45 minutes for 7 1/2x3 1/2x2-inch pans, or until a wooden toothpick insterted near center comes out clean (if necessary, cover lossely with foil the last 15 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning). Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely on a wire rack. Wrap and store overnight beofore slicing (I've never waited).

No comments: