Growing up, my family's schedule seemed to revolve around mealtime. I have to attribute my love for home cooked food to my mother. She didn't believe in cereal and made us breakfast every morning. I think that deserves some kind of award. Pancakes were my favorite breakfast growing up and my mom made hers from scratch. To be honest, I didn't know you could buy pancake mix at the store until I went to college. I don't claim to be a fabulous cook. I just wanted a place to keep and share all the recipes I love.
My family all came together in the evenings to eat dinner. It was at this time that relationships were built and strengthened. I believe that family dinner is an important tool for cultivating love and strengthening the family. This is why I cook. This is why I share.

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Mary Lee's Lasagna

  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 3/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 1 can/bottle spaghetti sauce (about 1 quart)
  • 2 Tbsp. parsley flakes
  • 2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. dried basil leaves
  • 1 pint ricotta cheese
  • 2 (24oz.) low-fat cottage cheese
  • 1/4 grated parmesan
  • 1 egg
  • 1 Tbsp. parsley flakes
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano
  • lasagna noodles
  • mozzarella & parmesan cheese (left over from earlier ingredients)
  1. Brown meat, onion, and garlic; drain. Add all ingredients from tomatoes to basil. Let simmer with meat.
  2. In a separate bowl, combing all ingredients from ricotta cheese through oregano.
  3. Layer in a 9X13 baking dish: noodles, meat, cheese, repeat.
  4. Layer everything with mozzarella and parmesan.
  5. Bake covered for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
  6. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.

No comments: