Growing up, my family's schedule seemed to revolve around mealtime. I have to attribute my love for home cooked food to my mother. She didn't believe in cereal and made us breakfast every morning. I think that deserves some kind of award. Pancakes were my favorite breakfast growing up and my mom made hers from scratch. To be honest, I didn't know you could buy pancake mix at the store until I went to college. I don't claim to be a fabulous cook. I just wanted a place to keep and share all the recipes I love.
My family all came together in the evenings to eat dinner. It was at this time that relationships were built and strengthened. I believe that family dinner is an important tool for cultivating love and strengthening the family. This is why I cook. This is why I share.

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Sloppy Cubanos

I got this recipe for a cousin of the sloppy joe from Rachael Ray. So yummy!!!
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4- 1/3 pound chorizo, casing removed (about one cup), finely chopped
  • 1 lb. ground pork
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, grated or finely chopped
  • 1 tsp. all-spice
  • 2 tsp. paprika
  • 2 tsp. coriander
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 Tbsp. light or dark brown sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • the zest and juice of 1 lime
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
  • 4 sub rolls
  • 4 deli cut slices Swiss cheese
  • dill pickles
  1. Heat the EVOO in a large skillet, one turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Brown the chorizo for 2 minutes, then add the pork and brown and crumble it, 3-4 minutes. Add onion and garlic. Season the mixture with allspice, paprika, coriander, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, then add the sugar and Worcestershire sauce and the zest and juice of one lime. Turn to distribute, then stir in stock and tomato sauce. Simmer a couple of minutes.
  2. Split and lightly toast rolls under hot broiler. Slop the mixture into rolls, then melt the Swiss cheese over top. Scatter chopped pickles on the sammies.

No comments: