Growing up, my family's schedule seemed to revolve around mealtime. I have to attribute my love for home cooked food to my mother. She didn't believe in cereal and made us breakfast every morning. I think that deserves some kind of award. Pancakes were my favorite breakfast growing up and my mom made hers from scratch. To be honest, I didn't know you could buy pancake mix at the store until I went to college. I don't claim to be a fabulous cook. I just wanted a place to keep and share all the recipes I love.
My family all came together in the evenings to eat dinner. It was at this time that relationships were built and strengthened. I believe that family dinner is an important tool for cultivating love and strengthening the family. This is why I cook. This is why I share.

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Buttermilk Waffles

  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups buttermilk or sour milk
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  1. In a medium bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and 1/4 tsp. salt. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.
  2. In another medium bowl beat eggs slightly; stir in milk, butter, and vanilla. Add egg mixture all at once to the flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be slightly lumpy).
  3. Pour 1 to 1 1/4 cups of batter onto grids of a preheated, lightly greased waffle baker. Close lid quickly; do not open till done. When done, use a fork to lift off grid. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve warm.

No comments: