Growing up, my family's schedule seemed to revolve around mealtime. I have to attribute my love for home cooked food to my mother. She didn't believe in cereal and made us breakfast every morning. I think that deserves some kind of award. Pancakes were my favorite breakfast growing up and my mom made hers from scratch. To be honest, I didn't know you could buy pancake mix at the store until I went to college. I don't claim to be a fabulous cook. I just wanted a place to keep and share all the recipes I love.
My family all came together in the evenings to eat dinner. It was at this time that relationships were built and strengthened. I believe that family dinner is an important tool for cultivating love and strengthening the family. This is why I cook. This is why I share.

Monday, March 23, 2009

Italian Bread Bowls

I've been on a bit of a soup kick this winter. It's been so obvious in fact that my husband started complaining about all the leftover soup in our fridge. That's unusual. My husband was called "the garbage disposal" by his family growing up because he ate all the leftovers and never complained about it. I feel like I'm able to move on from soup now that the weather is starting to warm up...I hope.
I like to make bread bowls to serve soup in every now and then. My favorite soup to put in them is Veggie Cheese Chowder.

  • 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
  • 2 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 2 Tbsp. oil
  • 7 cups flour
  • 1 tablespoon cornmeal
  • 1 egg white
  • 1 tablespoon water
  1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.

  2. Add salt, oil and 4 cups flour to the yeast mixture; beat well. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well with an electric mixer at medium speed after each addition.

  3. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes.

  4. Punch dough down, and divide into 8 equal portions. Shape each portion into a 4 inch round loaf. Place loaves on a lightly greased baking sheeting sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, until doubled in bulk, about 35 minutes.

  5. Preheat oven 400 degrees F. In a small bowl, beat together egg white and 1 tablespoon water, lightly brush the loaves with half of this egg wash.

  6. Bake in preheated over for 10-12 minutes. Brush with remaining egg mixture, and bake 10-12 minutes longer until golden brown. Cool on wire racks.

  7. To make bowls: Cut a 1/2 inch think slice from top of each loaf; scoop out centers, leaving 3/4 inch thick shells. Fill bread bowls with hot soup and serve immediately.

No comments: