Growing up, my family's schedule seemed to revolve around mealtime. I have to attribute my love for home cooked food to my mother. She didn't believe in cereal and made us breakfast every morning. I think that deserves some kind of award. Pancakes were my favorite breakfast growing up and my mom made hers from scratch. To be honest, I didn't know you could buy pancake mix at the store until I went to college. I don't claim to be a fabulous cook. I just wanted a place to keep and share all the recipes I love.
My family all came together in the evenings to eat dinner. It was at this time that relationships were built and strengthened. I believe that family dinner is an important tool for cultivating love and strengthening the family. This is why I cook. This is why I share.

Monday, March 23, 2009

Minestrone Soup

We ate this soup at a church activity and so I have to give tribute to Marina Rice for this recipe. I like to serve it with garlic breadsticks and salad.

  • 3 chicken breasts (cooked in chicken broth) cubed
  • 6 cups of chicken broth
  • 1 lb. Italian sausage - cooked, drained
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 cup kidney beans, drained
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. pepper
  • 3 Tbsp. parsley
  • 2 cups carrots, diced
  • 3 stalks of celery, diced
  • 4 small or 2 large cans crushed tomatoes
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp. basil
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 8 oz. pasta, cooked and added to soup as needed

Combine all ingredients and let simmer all day in crockpot on low heat.

This recipe makes a lot of soup. So much in fact, that it doesn't fit in my crockpot so I just do it in a big pot over the stove. It tastes just as good...I just make it in the early afternoon instead so it can simmer and blend the flavors until dinner.

No comments: