Growing up, my family's schedule seemed to revolve around mealtime. I have to attribute my love for home cooked food to my mother. She didn't believe in cereal and made us breakfast every morning. I think that deserves some kind of award. Pancakes were my favorite breakfast growing up and my mom made hers from scratch. To be honest, I didn't know you could buy pancake mix at the store until I went to college. I don't claim to be a fabulous cook. I just wanted a place to keep and share all the recipes I love.
My family all came together in the evenings to eat dinner. It was at this time that relationships were built and strengthened. I believe that family dinner is an important tool for cultivating love and strengthening the family. This is why I cook. This is why I share.

Monday, August 24, 2009

French Bread Pizza

We've started a new tradition in our family: Friday Night Pizza Night. We've done it for a total of two weeks now, and I'm really excited about it for a few reasons. 1. I love traditions. 2. I love pizza. 3. I love trying new recipes.
This past Friday, I had almost an entire loaf of Easy French Bread left to eat before it would start getting hard. My friend Amber had mentioned how much her family loves French Bread Pizza, so I decided to give it a try. I have to say that it's my favorite crust for pizza! It had great flavor and the right amount of crunch. You can use whatever toppings you like, but I'm pretty fond of the combination we had.
  • 1 loaf of Easy French Bread
  • olive oil
  • pizza sauce
  • 2 cups shredded cheese (I used a Four Cheese Italian blend of mozzarella, provolone, romano and parmesan).
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1 small green pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 small can sliced olives
  • 1/2 package pepperoni
  • Garlic Rosemary seasoning (This is one of those "bread dipping' seasonings. If you can't find this at your market, you can make your own by combining garlic powder and rosemary.)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut loaf in half and place both halves on a cookies sheet. Brush with olive oil. Place in oven for 3-5 minutes so that the bread hardens a bit to keep the pizza from being soggy.

Carefully, pull the cookie sheet out of the oven. Spread pizza sauce on bread and sprinkle over with cheese. Then sprinkle on the onion, pepper and olives. Place pepperoni on top. Shake Garlic Rosemary seasoning over pizza to taste. Bake in oven for 17-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.


1 comment:

Amber said...

Yum! I'm glad you guys liked it! i love your pics! I keep wanting to post the recipe on my blog but I always remember to take a picture of it after we've scarfed it all down, lol. Oh well! I'm going to have to try all those toppings because they look dang good... we usually do hawaiian but I'm up for a change! :)