Growing up, my family's schedule seemed to revolve around mealtime. I have to attribute my love for home cooked food to my mother. She didn't believe in cereal and made us breakfast every morning. I think that deserves some kind of award. Pancakes were my favorite breakfast growing up and my mom made hers from scratch. To be honest, I didn't know you could buy pancake mix at the store until I went to college. I don't claim to be a fabulous cook. I just wanted a place to keep and share all the recipes I love.
My family all came together in the evenings to eat dinner. It was at this time that relationships were built and strengthened. I believe that family dinner is an important tool for cultivating love and strengthening the family. This is why I cook. This is why I share.

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Low Sugar Strawberry Freezer Jam

My friend Brooke shared this recipe with me. It sets up more like a syrup than a jam, but it's flavor is very YUM! I also love the fact that the recipe calls for less sugar than most jam recipes. It made six to seven cups of jam when all was said and done.
  • 5-6 cups strawberries, cut up
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 3 Tbsp. corn starch
  • 1 packet strawberry flavored Kool-aid
  • 1 cup light Karo Syrup
Place the sugar, corn starch, Kool-aid and Karo Syrup in a heavy saucepan. Stir over medium/high heat until sugar is no longer crystallized. Add the strawberries. After they are incorporated into the sugar mixture, remove from heat.
Spoon mixture in the jam jars you prefer.

No comments: